Life is so full of changes, isn’t it?
The last few years, mine has been, that’s for sure. I have loved having you come along for the ride. I know you all have your own adventures in your life full of changes as well. This year has a bunch of them coming here again, so I hope you are ready for the ride. I think I am. Excited and Nervous at the same time. But when I pull myself out of the gritty feelings that come and go with these changes, I am ultimately ….. Curious. What will be in store next? I won’t know until it happens and maybe even after it happens.
The biggest change in the Quilt Industry as a whole recently has been the falling and scooping up of one of the top Fabric Companies in the business – Free Spirit. If you haven’t heard about it you can read all about it’s sudden closure by Coats to it’s swift revival by Jaftex four days later. It sent shock waves through the online quilting community that is for sure. But things on that story are settled for now and the best news is that I don’t think too many people lost jobs over the transition.
In this neck of the quilting industry proverbial woods, the biggest change is my first line of fabric, Tie One On, with Banyan Batiks, coming to your quilt shops this fall. (Owners will be looking at it to buy in the next two months – so tell them now, but y’all will still have to wait until this fall to add some to your stash!)
I can barely believe that this is really happening. Next week (or the week after) I am told that I will be getting 150 yards of my fabrics and 10 yards or so of Banyan Essential Coordinates.
that’s a lot of fabric……even for me…..
and then I will be making new quilts – and Linda will be making clothing and our Market Helpers, Rhiannon and Kristy, will be making quilts and clothes and bags, and all sorts of stuff to display and celebrate this Tie One On debut. I have a bunch of new quilts in my head, and we will be making those as well as some new versions of past quilts and lots of other cool stuff designed by others to show off the fabric! You will want to make them ALL! 🙂
Here are some snippets of the line to tease you for now. They will be in the salespeople’s hands next month and then online as well. Full Reveal will be at Quilt Market in May.
The “List” (for now at least)
I am doing the following:
- Shopping for pins to give away (woohoo!)
- Needing to build three sets of shelves (Maybe)
- Making hundreds of little bags to giveaway (not buying candy for those until we get down to Portland – cause you know what will happen if I do!)
- Painting Nickels Blue (of course…..)
- Piecing quilts that are in my head and on paper (my favorite part – but time consuming)
- Getting those quilts quilted (always takes more time than I expect)
- Binding on the way TO Market (also of course)
- Working on writing patterns for the new quilts so they will be available this fall when the fabric comes out (my Second least favorite thing to do in this business)
- Thinking about and sketching the next line (while wondering and hoping that everyone will love the first!)
- Trying not to worry and get overwhelmed about the time crunch we are in (be diligent and not procrastinate)
- Figuring out what needs to be printed in paper form (how to take orders for patterns? Or will I have the shops order from the distributors? – there will likely be a little bit of both going on)
- Plus who knows what else ….
These are just some of the things going on here.
My thoughts about all of these changes of my routine are swirling more than normal too.
I will be talking more about Tie One On in the future. There is a ton to tell. But for now there is a TON to do to get ready for Market. Make sure to follow me on Instagram for up to the minute pictures! It is like my blog away from home 🙂
Thanks for coming along on this adventure!
Keep Sewing, Keep Happy,
(I will be falling asleep at my machine many nights I’m sure)